Friday 23 May 2014

Terry Reid Tour - Newcastle - Cluny 2

Hi all...

As I was travelling through the north on the train you can see the remanance of old industrial sites, mills, quarry's and mines. Beautiful countryside, rolling hills, bridges, nature and a huge number of farms. 


It got me thinking of feeding the population and how old farming techniques could surely be phased out entirely as in many years to come it may seem an almost primitive way to do things. This got me thinking of a doomsday scenario when oil isn't currency but food becomes the new power......that done my head in...... so I played Sonic the Hedgehog on my iPad instead ;-)


I'd never been to Newcastle before and I'm not sure what my ignorance was expecting but it's much prettier than I imagined. Maybe it's the soft southern fairy in me being judgmental, but I haven't really spent much time that far up north before.
The Cluny is a venue off the Tyne and I believe it was an old whiskey brewery. It's a great location next to a lock with art centres, a woodwork factory and a steampunk submarine....? It has a bohemian vibe and the Cluny 2 (the room which we were playing in) is a fantastic space for a smaller band/acoustic music. In fact I'd go as far as to say that along with the Bedford it's probably one of the best I have played in. Ross the sound guy deserves a mention for his patience and professionalism, and the staff were lovely. 


What was quite perturbing though was the announcement by one of the bar staff the minute I arrived that the dressing rooms were haunted and to look out for a "vibe". Now being a guy who tries to stay rational I didn't think anything of it but just enjoyed the story....course when I was down there I was looking!...I think it's human nature. I didn't see anything although my door got stuck and I panicked for a second, it's not really "the ring" that though is it ;-)


The Geordie crowd were right up my street, interacting, inviting, friendly and respectful. Although I was on a little too early they were fantastic people and a pleasure to play to. I was being cheeky onstage forgetting the name of the Tyne and saying I couldn't understand them...good fun and they engaged with my music. I would definitely want to come back here anytime and people need to support venues like this one. 


As for Terry's set, it was almost like an event, and the show took on a different vibe making Terry talk more. They really hold him dear up here and his northern connections obviously have made a mark on people maybe on a deeper level. It was like "an evening with" and an evening it certainly was he went way over curfew and played for nearly three hours haha! 


So a late night, hotel mixup, loooong journey to Gatwick....off to Sweden we go!

Stay safe
Andy xx

Mostly listening to Paul Thomas Saunders - Beautiful Desolation
Listening to this album whilst looking out on these bridges is quite an experience. You should try it sometime ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment